Saturday, November 19, 2005

My nickname is...

I suspect we all have real(given) names and nicknames(nasty and pleasant ones), seriously! I have heard people say "My name is Samatha, but please call me Sam!" or " I'm Raymond, but I go by Ray."

So what is a nickname? A nickname is usually a short substitute name for a person's real name. Often if a nickname is mentioned, you can pretty much guess the real name. Here are some examples:
Nicknames Given Names
Cindy ===== Cynthia
Jim ====== James
Tina ====== Christina
Frankie ==== Francis
Rob ====== Robert
...

For some people nicknames are usually "cool" to have and sweet to the ears, but others just hate them. Well, I have no problem with nicknames. It's just that sometimes there are way too many nicknames to one given name. There are even nicknames out there that don't make any sense to me.

You see, how did "Dick" become a nickname for "Richard"? How in the world did "Daisy" become a nickname for "Margaret"? And if your name is Catherine, why do you want people to call you Cathy, Karen, Katie, Kathleen, Kay, Kit, Kati, Kate, or Kitty?

Huh? Actor Dick Dreyfuss? Former prime minister Daisy Thatcher ? The Legend of Zorro star Kitty Zeta-Jones?

15 Comments:

At Friday, November 18, 2005 2:03:00 PM, Blogger Cynthia said...

My nick name is Cyn.. My boss call me Cynth, sound very Aussie rite? Those old Asian aunties who cant call my name properly.. they call me Cindy..
Hmm.. tehy all work out the same..
SOme ppl use my chinese name as well.. haha! I tell you more after exam.. they are hillarious. LOL

 
At Friday, November 18, 2005 6:54:00 PM, Blogger Furkids In Hong Kong said...

Some just call me Pete, the elder generation pronounce Peter as 'Pee Tah', and my wife calls me.....well I'll keep that to myself. :D

Pete

 
At Friday, November 18, 2005 7:00:00 PM, Blogger kukukucinta said...

my family and relatives call me bowling ball (保龄球) ....cos my chinese name is bao ling.

 
At Saturday, November 19, 2005 12:02:00 AM, Blogger Hiao Auntie said...

so, wat is ur nickname and ur real name?

 
At Saturday, November 19, 2005 8:08:00 AM, Blogger humblewarrior said...

cynthia - Do share with us when you are done with your exams.

furkids - Toooo sweet that you can't share with us? LOL

保龄球 - They don't "give" you a specific color? Just bowling ball?

hiao auntie - My nickname? Um... for blogging world, just call me humblewarrior,LOL . Real name? Ah...

 
At Saturday, November 19, 2005 10:24:00 AM, Blogger Winn said...

errrr......got a lot of nicknames ppl gave me in order to make fun of me lah:(

 
At Saturday, November 19, 2005 11:21:00 AM, Blogger sÞ¡ηηєє said...

u r making me laffing hard. how the hell DICK = richard? HAHAHA

 
At Saturday, November 19, 2005 1:32:00 PM, Blogger Tibbar de Gniw said...

You haven't seen Bob (Robert) or Bill (William/Withelmina) yet...
Those make even less sense.

As for me, few people dare to give me any nasty nicknames, mwahahahahaha...

 
At Saturday, November 19, 2005 3:30:00 PM, Blogger paranoid said...

nickname: Dick
Real name: penis

cheers!

 
At Saturday, November 19, 2005 10:06:00 PM, Blogger Jellyfish said...

ok.
my real name is not jellyfish (or any of the likes)
muahahaha......

 
At Sunday, November 20, 2005 4:48:00 AM, Blogger Gumboo said...

My real name is Boogie, and my nick name ... listen up, man!!
" Little beagle boogie boo boo "
Woof !!

 
At Monday, November 21, 2005 2:57:00 AM, Blogger day-dreamer said...

So, hum... err err... humb... err err... war... err err... Aiks! How to call you? So long, "humble warrior"!

Anyway, some nicknames just don't make sense. Ha ha!

 
At Tuesday, November 22, 2005 8:20:00 AM, Blogger humblewarrior said...

spinnee - I had the same thought too when I first found out.

tibbar de gniw - Hah! So you have none?

paranoid - Good one!

jellyfish - So what's your nickname then?

gumboo - gumboo still sounds the best. Will just stick with that :)

day-dreamer- humblewarrior is fine. Don't strain your brain.

 
At Tuesday, November 22, 2005 4:39:00 PM, Blogger Gab said...

*LOL* funny post. i'm curious how did Richard become DICK? *geez*

 
At Wednesday, November 23, 2005 7:53:00 AM, Blogger humblewarrior said...

gab - I am just as curious as you about this nickname. =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home