Wednesday, October 19, 2005

appreciation vs. honesty

I was out at the grocery store late evening. In about 25 mins I filled up the shopping basket with milk, bread ,eggs, fruits, veggie, meat and can foods. Of course, without further prolonging my stay at that jam-packed store, I immediately went to the checkout counter with the shortest line.

After finished paying the cashier, the grocery bagger handed me all my groceries. I walked to my blue VW and loaded all the plastic bags into the trunk. As I was putting down the last bag, I realized that the bag had 4 loaves bread in there. Knowing that I bought only 1 loave, I quickly checked my receipt to see whether they charged me for those breads.

Later on it was pretty clear that the bagger had accidently "rewarded" me with 3 extra loaves of bread. So being a honest guy(who?me?), I walked all the way back and returned those extras.

Me: Excuse me mam! I didn't buy these.
Bagger: Oh yeah? These are NOT yours?
Me: Nope.
Bagger: Ok. <--- End of conversation

Now, I'm not blogging about this so that I'll be awarded a medal for what I did. Let me get this right, wouldn't it be more polite for her to end the conversation with a sentence like "Thank you for...." then just "Ok." How come some people just can't show some appreciation? Or I shouldn't have expected a nice gesture in the first place since I didn't pay for those breads.

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 19, 2005 7:45:00 AM, Blogger kukukucinta said...

*applause applause* if everyone's like you, this world will be a much better place to live in ^_^

 
At Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:59:00 AM, Blogger Winn said...

is the bagger asian?
i would say that asians are most of the time not expressive and reserved even when it comes to mannerism.

 
At Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:20:00 PM, Blogger Cynthia said...

i dont think he bagger or we call it check-out chick in australia owns the business of the shop. so, why would she care if you return the bread? =) human being is just another typical species on earth. But to be honest, you are great! im impressed asian like you will return the bread.. if others.. the likelihood is pretty low.. or i just see too much oversea asian students here? im sorry if you or someone out there get offended. =)

 
At Thursday, October 20, 2005 12:21:00 AM, Blogger Chinyi said...

I know exactly what your feeling. You did really a good job, only if all of us could spend some time being polite and appreciate, life gonna be beautiful.

 
At Thursday, October 20, 2005 12:49:00 AM, Blogger Furkids In Hong Kong said...

Wtg, and good on you!

I had a similar experience in a local supermarket. The response when I returned the extra 'goodies' (after going home and back)? "Why didn't you say so earlier? Tsk". I nearly swallowed her whole.

But I digress, wtg!

 
At Thursday, October 20, 2005 7:07:00 AM, Blogger humblewarrior said...

Don't we all try to make this place a better place to live? =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home